Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Landlord tells me she will be on vacation when I move out and can't do a walk through?

I am breaking my lease 4 month early. In good faith I told management over 60 days in advance and offered to make my move-out date at a mid-month point so they had plenty of time to get apartment ready for a new tenant the following month. I sent a letter formalizing my move-out plans and requested a walk through for the day after I move out. The woman who manages the complex told me to keep in touch with her to find out about a new tenant, and was told yesterday she has a new tenant lined up. When I asked her for an appointment for a walk through the day after I move out she said "well that's the problem, I will be on vacation from the 7th through the 26th" and when I asked if the person who would be covering for her would handle accepting the keys and doing the walk through, she said I could turn in the keys but that SHE had to inspect the unit for any damages. It is my intention to leave the unit spotless, ready for the maintenance crew (there's about 225 units here) to do whatever they do to prep for a new tenant. What steps should I take to "cover my rear"? I was thinking of sending a letter to the effect of "I was pleased to hear from you that you have a new tenant for my unit for an "x" move-in date. I understand that you will be on vacation when I move out and unavailable for a final walk through, but I will be happy to turn in my keys on "y" date to give the crew ample time to prep for the new tenant..." Should I let her know I plan to take pictures of the unit? Is there anything else I should do or say?

No comments:

Post a Comment